GRECIAN MAGNESITE S.A. was established in 1959 by G. Portolos and continued the exploitation of magnesite reserves at Yerakini, Chalkidiki – Northern Greece, previously operated by the foreign company Anglo-Greek. GRECIAN MAGNESITE S.A. received a mine which was operated for small-scale selective mining. With meticulous mind, the company started its creative work on the challenging deposit of Yerakini, without enhancing the traditional selective mining, which would lead to faster profits but earlier exhaustion of the deposit. On the contrary, the company followed the principle that a deposit is an exhaustible natural resource and therefore, the reserves of the mineral deposit should be maximized.
The early years were spent with the development of new markets, the acquisition of earth moving equipment, the "opening" of new mining pits and the techno-... view more
The second rotary kiln operated in 1971, while the caustic magnesia grinding, sieving and packing installations were introduced in 1972, when the company... view more
In 1991 a major investment project was completed that included the transfer of part of the rural road Yerakini-Polygyros so that a significant magnesite... view more