SM90 corresponds to a special grade of dead-burned magnesia with high iron content. It is mainly used in welding-fluxes production where the product’s microstructure ensures high hydration resistance and low hydrogen concentration in the weld. A decisive criterion for flux performance is slag detachability and level of slag penetration into the metal after welding. Magnesia is used to control the melting point of the flux to avoid the formation of welding defects.
Our SM 90 powder has been used for more than two decades by the leading welding manufacturers around the world, with excellent results.
The nature of our mineral deposits (microcrystalline type of magnesite, CaO/SiO2 forsteritic ratio) together with our extensive know-how in calcination (sintering) of magnesite, result to the production of the SM90 Powder with a suitable microstructure and mineralogical composition to cover the stringent requirements of the application, such as:
- High melting point – High refractoriness
- High resistance to hydration – Low hydrogen concentration in the weld
- Very low content of undesirable impurities such as C, P and S.
During the final stage of the manufacturing process, milling, sieving and packing is performed in a continuous operation. Grecian Magnesite’s dedicated installations, ensure the uniform production of the SM90 Powder with the correct particle size, shape and distribution. We supply our customers tailor made - ready to blend products; for fluxes with consistent composition and good strength.
SM 90 is also used as a refractory raw material in the production gunning and spray tundish mixes.
SM90 is available in granular and sized forms or milled.
MgO Content: Min. 89%
- in bulk (only for granular material – refractory applications)
- in 25kg polyethylene-lined, multiwalled bags, stretch wrapped on pallets
- in big bags with plastic liner with or without bottom spout on pallets (optional)